New dual residences constructed from a derelict building in the remote Community of Kowanyama
- to create new residential accommodation through the redevelopment of existing derelict building stock
- to develop a housing format that meets the requirements of the Community
- to employ construction methods that create local employment outcomes
- New residential duplex accommodating two families, providing beds for a total of 14 people
- Total build costing $300,000 (versus a cost of $900,000 for 2 std block houses delivered from Cairns)
- Delivery of skilled & semi-skilled work for the Council Building Team members. The projects also directly enabled the Trade Certificate completion for 2 Team members
- Local “ownership” of these residences, providing a living environment that may be considered superior to many of the generic design housing solutions delivered from afar.